Review: City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

January 01, 2021

The City of Heavenly Fire is the last book in Cassandra Clare's bestselling Mortal Instruments series. It is, without a doubt, my favourite book in the Mortal Instruments. Cassandra Clare has outdone herself once again, and left me gaping at the pages in awe. This book made me laugh out loud, it made stare open-mouthed, and admittedly, I nearly cried. 
 City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
Published: May 27, 2014
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 638 (paperback)
Series: Mortal Instruments #6 
My Rating: 5 of 5 stars



Review

Plot: This is the final battle against Jonathan Christopher Morgenstern, aka, Sebastian. With the Infernal Cup, he has the power to turn Shadowhunters against other Shadowhunters, hereby creating the Endarkened. The Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris, but even that can't keep Sebastian away. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, the world has no protection against demons. Clary and her friends need to journey to another realm to stop him from destroying the entire world and sending everything and everyone they ever knew or loved, up in flames.

[Pause for dramatic effect]

Thoughts: Sebastian Morgenstern is one of the best villains I've come across; he's better than Valentine to me.  This book was a journey; it was so long and detailed that the beginning felt like another book. Just another reason to obsess over it. Also can I just point out how beautiful that cover is?

As I mentioned in my City of Glass review, Cassandra's style of writing is lovely. There are many characters introduced in this book, described brilliantly, and they also give you a lot to think about. Something that stood out in this books was the prologue and the epilogue. They're just so beautifully written; I enjoyed reading them and felt so many contrasting emotions just reading those words. 

Sebastian, back to the antagonist, was completely barbaric by and large. He killed people like Voldemort (oh, they actually seem a bit similar now that I think about it,) and came across as a completely heartless Shadowhunter. That ending really changed my view on things. Then came the fact that he wanted Clary by his side as he took over the world. The fact that he had two thrones, and that he was willing to let the representatives of all the Downworlders and Shadowhunters go, if he just had Clary and Jace. I was completely baffled, and then the ending (again) explained it all. 

Maia, Bat, Lily and Jordan play a crucial role  in the alliance of the Downworlders. And that Maureen. I despise her; she reminds me of a few odd characters like Nancy Bobofit from Percy Jackson and Carmelita Spats from aSoUE. Raphael was brave, very brave, and though I didn't care for him much before this book, I realise his importance now. Oh, and one thing I realised is that the Seelie Queen's manipulative and devious personality was implied and established one too many times in the book; we already know she was crafty. 

Then there's Magnus and Alec who are brave and have a lot of revelations in the last few chapters. And Simon and Isabelle are my OTP, in this book at least. Clary and Jace were already together, so their moments didn't shine as much. 

Conclusion: Well, I'm glad to say that my first read in 2021 was a tremendous success and will remain on my favourites shelf for a long, long time to come. Ending with one of my favourite Magnus Bane quotes: 

"Hope is all that keeps us going sometimes, biscuit."
—Magnus Bane



PS: Yes, I am aware this isn't my first post, but I've revamped my blog for the new year. From 2021, every book I read will be here as a review and I'll also be writing many, many more interactive posts! Well, thanks for reading till here!

2 Comments

  1. This was fun to read but I don't really think its my kind of book

    Could you do one of the KOTLC series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Such a coincidence you recommended it; I am reading the first one *right now!*

      Delete

Copyright

All words, unless stated are mine. Please do not use without permission.



© Copyright Maya Rajesh 2021